Virgin Media Television confirms 300 hours of additional live Irish programming as part of major daytime revamp
- 15% increase in studio hours sees Ireland AM extend by thirty minutes plus the launch of a brand new lunchtime news show anchored by Colette Fitzpatrick
- Elaine to move to mid-morning timeslot with brand new studio
- The Six O’Clock Show moves back to five days as Xposé takes its final bow
Virgin Media Television (VMTV) has today announced changes to its daytime and tea time schedules which will see 300 hours of additional live Irish programming, resulting in the biggest commitment to local content in the history of the Independent broadcaster.
The schedule changes mean that Virgin Media One will now broadcast live studio content from 7am until 1pm each weekday, unique in broadcasting in Ireland.
The new schedule will go live on October 7th and will see the following changes;
- Ireland AM celebrates 20 years as Ireland’s only dedicated breakfast TV show by extending its franchise by 30 minutes; now broadcasting live from 7am to 11am. As part of this revamp, Weekend AM will now be rebranded to Ireland AM on Saturdays and Sundays with a combined presentation team working across the seven day breakfast service.
- Elaine will move to a new mid-morning slot of 11am to 12 noon, from VMTV’s newest studio, Studio 3.
- Live at 12, a new one hour news programme will bring viewers the latest breaking news and sport with live reports from around the country and discussion on the big stories of the day. It will be anchored by Colette Fitzpatrick from the Virgin Media News Hub.
- The Six O’Clock Show will now air five days a week.
Virgin Media Television also confirmed today that as part of these changes Xposé will come to an end after 12 years on air. The last Xposé will broadcast on October 4th with a one hour special. In addition ITV’s This Morning and Loose Women, will end their run on Virgin Media Television on the same day.
Speaking about today’s announcement, Pat Kiely, Managing Director, Virgin Media Television said;
“Our investment in state-of-the-art studio facilities over the last three years means we can now step up and deliver more Irish content than ever before. Being live and local right through the morning means we will connect more with our viewers and reflect the issues that are important to Irish audiences. From Ireland AM to the Tonight Show, Virgin Media Television now offers more daily live studio and News content than any other broadcaster.
Like all broadcasters however we are facing on-going economic and competitive challenges. This means we must move with the times and reflect changing tastes and media consumption. It also means having to make tough decisions to ensure we remain viable and relevant.
I would like to pay tribute to the Xposé team and all who worked on the show over the last twelve years. Xposé set the standard for entertainment reporting in an era before the proliferation of social media and leaves behind a genuine legacy in Irish entertainment journalism.”
For further information
Louise Zayed, Virgin Media Television Senior Press Officer – 083 171 1839
Kevin Shore, Virgin Media Television Press Officer – 085 713 1544
About Virgin Media
Virgin Media is a leading connected entertainment provider with a cable and broadcast business in Ireland.
Everyday we deliver connections that really matter for thousands of consumers, with multi award-winning services including broadband, TV, mobile and home phone. Through‘Project Lightning’, we are extending our cable footprint so that more communities can enjoy the benefits of the fastest and most widely available broadband speeds from Virgin Media.
Virgin Media Television, our broadcast division, is Ireland’s number one commercial broadcaster offering three free-to-air channels (Virgin Media One, Virgin Media Two, Virgin Media Three, in addition to the Virgin Media Player). We are a significant investor in home produced content in news, current affairs and drama as well as offering the best in international content. Virgin Media Sport and our 6 Extra Sport channels offer extensive sports coverage across the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.
Our Virgin Media Business division provides the fastest broadband speeds and connectivity solutions for entrepreneurs, businesses and the public sector.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s largest international TV and broadband company. Liberty Global connects 21 million customers in 10 countries across Europe with 45 million TV, broadband internet and telephony subscription services, 6 million mobile subscribers and 12 million WiFi access points.