The following information is a UPC Ireland Press release from before the move to Virgin Media
UPC Business Launches Next Generation Ethernet Service
Dublin, November 28th, 2014: UPC Business today announced the launch of a next generation Ethernet service in Ireland having recently earned the Carrier Ethernet 2.0 certification from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF).
With the certification UPC Business is now able to increase end-to-end network reach with improved multi-site connectivity and interoperability for multi-vendor network environments. This means that the company can now offer a common Ethernet service across the European countries where Liberty Global offers its services.
Gavan Smyth, Vice-President of Business Services, UPC Ireland said, “In today’s business landscape scalable bandwidth and high-performance networks are essential for a rich IT experience, and critical to success. Demand for such services, services that reliably transport all forms of data, is growing exponentially. With the new MEF Carrier Ethernet 2.0 certification, we are able to provide significant commercial benefits to our business customers and demonstrate our commitment to the continuous development of our network.”
The certification was granted by the MEF and achieved with network equipment and solutions from Ciena Corporation. MEF is the industry defining body dedicated to the definition and worldwide adoption of Carrier Ethernet networks and services. Earlier this year UPC’s parent company, Liberty
Global became the first cable company to receive this on a pan-European level, with affiliated countries including Czech Republic, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Ireland.
Benefits at a glance
- Carrier Ethernet enables the delivery of well understood services requirements with enhanced capabilities and the migration of legacy services
- True Quality of Service: well-defined, leading performance and quality parameters give the ability to operate at a significant higher service level than on traditional Ethernet networks
- Service Management: the first-class OAM-performance management provides the deepest end to end service detail views to efficiently manage customer SLA’s over the networks of UPC Ireland and Liberty Global
- Simplicity to drive costs down: the Carrier Ethernet network-implementation reduces complexity and provides more competitive pricing in combination with leading service availability and reliability
- Quarter of a million business locations fibered: get connected to the largest alternative fibrenetwork in Europe, including over 300 Datacentres
About UPC Business
UPC Business is the leading national provider of integrated business communications ranging from Metro Ethernet services up to 100Gbps, Internet connectivity up to 10Gbps and broadband services for the small office and home office market.
UPC Business offers the complete spectrum of business communications products through the UPC high capacity fibre network. Services include Carrier Ethernet, Metro Ethernet connectivity, colocation, SIP and TDM voice services, leased lines, managed bandwidth and direct internet access.
UPC is one of the largest business-to-business communications providers in Ireland with a strong presence in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford and 14 regional towns.
About Liberty Global
Liberty Global is the world’s largest international cable company with operations in 14 countries. We connect people to the digital world and enable them to discover and experience its endless possibilities. Our market-leading services are provided through next-generation networks and innovative technology platforms that, when combined with those of Ziggo N.V., connected 27 million customers subscribing to 56 million television, broadband internet and telephony services at September 30, 2014.
Liberty Global's consumer brands include Virgin Media, UPC, Ziggo, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Telenet and VTR. Our operations also include Liberty Global Business Services, our commercial division, and Liberty Global Ventures, our investment fund
Follow us on Twitter: @VirginMediaIE