Virgin Media Ireland announces revenue increase of 3% to €224m for the half year to end June 2021
Tony Hanway, CEO Virgin Media Ireland commented: “Our continued investments in network technology and product innovation are ensuring that customers get the best-connected entertainment experience, all made possible by Ireland’s fastest broadband network. I’d like to thank each and every member of the Virgin Media team for a strong set of half year results and for continuing to work tirelessly right through the Covid crisis.”
Here’s how Virgin Media did during the year to date:
- Data usage across our network has increased 91% year on year (averaging 19GB daily as customers use our services even more) as continuous investment in our network is delivering fast and reliable broadband - the critical infrastructure enabling remote working, businesses, education, entertainment and social life.
- Virgin Media Television delivered strong growth with an 18.2% average share of viewing which was a rise of 11% year-on-year and included +4% growth in our younger audiences. All four channels performed strongly across news, current affairs, entertainment and sport while the tv advertising market recovered strongly as national Covid restrictions began to ease.
- 5,000 additional broadband subscribers YoY with more customers switching to our 1Gb broadband service (complete with the latest v2 Hub) with 99% 1Gb availability on Ireland’s fastest broadband network.
- 22,500 additional TV subscribers YoY as our latest next generation TV platform, Virgin TV360 is providing customers with an enhanced TV viewing experience through improved content discovery and intuitive features including voice control, personal profiles and seamless multi-room, multi-device viewing. New features fuelling demand for the service include fully integrated Amazon Prime Video and YouTube Kids, making content easier than ever to discover along with premium and exclusive box sets for all tastes.
- 19,900 additional mobile subscribers YoY as Virgin Mobile continues its growth trajectory with more customers moving to our great value unlimited mobile plans.
- Strong progress in building an ever more sustainable business and on target to reduce our carbon footprint by a further 50% by 2025, having achieved a 30% reduction since 2017 through a wide range of ongoing initiatives.