Eight US Movie Facts
He surprised – and scared – the world with the magnificent Get Out, which meant there was no small amount of expectation when Jordan Peele returned with a brand new movie to shake up the scene once again. But whatever standards he’s now held to, it’s safe to say that Us didn’t just clear the bar, but raised it higher still!
The film, available to rent now on Virgin Movies from €4.99, is both super scary and wonderfully weird; a reminder of the amazing ability that Peele has to combine horror, comedy, political commentary and a whole lot more besides into a cocktail you won’t be able to get enough of.
It’s one of the year’s most talked-about flicks, but we reckon there’s still plenty you might not have heard – the eight nuggets below for starters!
• Just as the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, was partial to a cameo, it turns out Jordan Peele enjoys one too; eagle-eyed (or should that be elephant-earned?!) viewers will find him as the voice of the fun house narrator.
• If it seems like leads Lupita Nyong’o and Winston Duke have close chemistry, it’s little wonder; the pair were classmates at Yale School of Drama just a few short years ago!
• Far from Halloween, Peele actually took inspiration from another holiday – Easter! Considering the amount of bunnies knocking about, perhaps we should have got that one earlier…
• The Santa Cruz boardwalk might look deliciously retro and eerie – but it’s actually exactly like that in real-life, with many features dating back to the early 1900s. Good news if you fancy recreating some scenes on your holliers, then!
• The film enjoyed an opening weekend haul of more than $70m in the U.S. – shattering the record for an original horror film. Not bad work for a movie made on a budget of $20m!
• The gloves worn by the Tethered are a nod towards three iconic – and unsettling – 1980s figures; Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson and Freddy Kruger. As an added bonus, they’re a fairly simple costume option come October 31!
• While the eerie netherworld we see is never named in the film, the director has said he referred to it as The Underpass – which will make us think twice next time we’re crossing the tracks at Connolly Station!
• Peels has suggested that there are sequels to the film both “in his mind and on his computer” – but given that he’s the sort who enjoys new challenges, we’re not banking on a follow-up any time soon!
There’s nothing scary about a bundle with Virgin Media – just red-hot TV, super-fast broadband and home phone! Click here to find out more…