Home Phone - Fixing
Nothing appears on my screen what do I do?
If nothing is appearing on your handset’s display, the handset may not be switched on, or the battery pack could be empty.
Press and hold the "End Call" key for approximately 5 seconds, which will turn the phone on (in the event that it’s off). If that doesn’t work, place the handset in the base station, which will charge the battery.
Of course, you may need to replace the battery pack, depending on how long you’ve had it.
Nothing happens when I press buttons on the handset?
That’s odd, but not entirely uncommon. If nothing happens when you press the buttons on the handset, the key lock may be activated. To turn the lock off, press the # button for approximately 2 seconds. You should be good to go after that.
How do I transfer a call to another handset?
We like to connect people, no matter the distance. If you want to transfer a call from one handset to another in your home, all you have to do is follow a few simple steps.
When you’re on the phone, press "INT" during the call and then enter the number of the handset you wish to transfer the call to. That number can be found on the top right of the screen on your handset.
When the second handset rings, the person on the other phone can hit the "Answer" button as per normal, and off they go.
Why does "Base" keep flashing in the handset display?
“Base” could be flashing on your handset’s display for several reasons.
In one instance, the handset may be outside the range of the base station. Take a few steps closer to the base, and see if the flashing has stopped.
The base station could be switched off, or the power cord may not be connected properly. Check the power cable at the base station, and double check the cord routing. If the handset beeps when you put it in the base, then the power is on.
In another scenario, the handset may not be registered to the base yet. To register the handset, just follow these steps:
1. Pick up the handset and press the Menu button (located on the top right of the handset).
2. Go to Settings > Handset > Register HS
3. Enter the pin number and press "OK". The default PIN is 0000.
4. When the handset is flashing, it’s "Registering". Press and hold the sync button on the base until the handset beeps.
If the handset beeps, then the handset and base are now registered, and the flashing should stop. If this doesn't work, you may have missed a step. Try going through the instructions once more. We’ll get there.
How do I register additional handsets?
You can register up to 3 additional handsets to work in conjunction with the main handset we supply, giving you 4 handsets in total that can be used through our service. To do this you need to register each additional handset to your main base, this is the base that plugs into your modem. (Only one base can be directly connected to our modem, unless you have requested a second phone line.)
Any additional base can be placed anywhere in your house provided it has a power connection, they do not require a phone cable to be plugged in.
Please follow the below steps to register the additional handsets to your main base:
- Remove any handset that may be sitting in the main base
- Have the additional handset in your hand
- Press the "Menu" button (very top right) on the handset
- Using the down arrow, scroll to "Settings" and press "OK"
- Scroll down to "Handset" and press "OK"
- Scroll down to "Register HS" and press "OK"
- Enter the PIN (default is 0000) and press "OK"
- When you see "Registering" flashing on the phone, place it down beside the main base and hold the paging button on it. (See below on where to locate this button depending on phone models)
- Hold this paging button on the main base until the handset makes a beeping noise.
- If registration was successful, you will see a number on the top left. This number indicates which handset number this handset is (1, 2, 3 or 4).
How do I reboot my Home Phone equipment?
Having trouble with your Home Phone equipment? A simple reboot could do the trick. To reboot your phone, simply follow these steps:
1. Power down your base station by unplugging it from the wall socket. (The base station is the device used to charge your telephone handset.)
2. Power off your handset by pressing and holding the hang-up button.
3. Power down your modem by unplugging it from the wall socket. (Your modem is the black box attached to the main base station.)
4. While it is unplugged, ensure that all equipment, leads and connections are securely in place.
5. Please check the phone cable from your base station is plugged into the TEL1 socket on the back of the modem next to the modem's power cable.
6. After 30 seconds power up your modem by plugging it back into the wall socket. Your modem is back online when the TEL1 and TEL2 lights on the front of the modem light up green continuously.
7. Power up your base station by plugging it back into the wall socket.
8. Now power back on your handset by pressing and holding the hang up button.
Congrats, you’ve rebooted your phone. Check whether your service is working by making an outbound call. If you are still running into technical difficulties, contact a member of our customer care team.
What handsets are compatible with my home phone service, and where can I buy one?
We happily provide a Siemens Gigaset AS220 cordless phone with your order, but you can buy a second one online if you’d like a spare.
We also have a list of other compatible handsets, but, unfortunately, we do not sell them on our site, and can’t provide technical support for them. Take a look anyway:
Please note that these handsets will work with our phone service but Virgin Media does not provide support for these handsets.